Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cowardice

   September 15, 2013

  Matthew 5:13, Revelation 21:8, Luke 9, John 6

All over the world, Christians are being persecuted. North Korean believers have been run over with bulldozers. In some Muslim countries, Christians are martyred for sharing their faith. If God asked me to stand in the middle of the mall and yell out, “I’m a Christian”, would I decide he must be talking to someone else? 76% of all Americans claim to be Christians. Really? Real faith requires courage. Common decency and basic morality are declining everywhere in our culture. The salt isn’t salty.
Cowards are listed with the worst of sinners. Cowardice will exclude me from God’s presence forever. It’s not enough to go to church or quote the bible. Some of the same people who shouted,” Hosanna”, and ate the free bread shouted, “Crucify him!”, a few days later. Jesus told a grieving man not to bury his father. He told his confused followers to eat his flesh or they would have no part of the kingdom. Do I love God? Do I stand up for what he values when my reputation is at risk? Closet Christianity isn’t Christianity. Father, help us to live for and in your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment